PIAZZA MARTIRI: LET’S LEARN THE HISTORY OF THE MAIN SQUARE
Its original name was ‘Borgo Noglioso’, which then became ‘Borgogioso’. However, it was commonly known as “Piazza Grande” or “Piazza” until the unification of Italy. At 17,000 square meters, it is one of the largest squares in Italy. It was built in 1500 during the Renaissance, commissioned by Alberto III Pio. Today, the square is still the political, religious and administrative center of the city.